Sunday, July 19, 2015

Korean Food/Tradition: Bok Days, Dog Meat?? & Samgyetang?

Another seasons coming in Korea just like a flash card! with one blink, you will see such greeny scenery along the road and the heating is NO kidding! Very hot indeed!! ㅠㅠ Compare with any countries at equator line (which had hot weather) South Korea weather during summer is worse than that!!ㅠㅠ I guess most of you might wondering why I says so isn't it?? Well I'm living in Malaysia, so of course I know our normal temperature is but I also  been to Korea on late spring, nearly summer. ^^ When I felt their sunlight, I was shocked!! Can't believe it!? I thought living in equator will be the hottest area on earth?! Yet 4 seasons countries summer is NIGHTMARE!! Makes me sweat more!ㅠㅠ

During summer, there are not many cloud in Korea so that's why the weather is really hot as it is direct sunlight! Make sure to wear plenty of sunblock or else you will see stripe on your face!ㅋㅋㅋ It also take quite long period to completely fade and back to normal tone! (Skin tone on your face) I experience that and I'm so REGRET for not put much sunblock back then! The moment my face tone back to normal, I felt as if I was reborn!ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Ok I'm not a make up MANIAC though but like any ordinary women, I do WORRY about my skin!ㅋㅋㅋ

Anyway today I'm NOT interested to talk about make up as I'm NOT expert in it. ㅋㅋㅋ What I wanna talk about it the BEST food during SUMMER! In Korea, during summer they said there are THREE days that are the most HOTTEST days every year known as BOK DAYS. These bok days (according to Lunar Year Calendar) were divided into three which is chubok, jungbok, and malbok. Since its July now, its a period for malbok, also known as peak heat during summer. Malbok normally start from 13 July or 21 July up until early August.

According to old tradition, during bok days, Korean will eat dog meat. They BELIEVE that eating dog meat is the BEST remedy to counter the heat as well to REFRESH themselves. I did ask around about it, whether this tradition still been PRACTICED these years. Some of my Korean friends says, this OLD TRADITION still been practicing, but its only FAMOUS among OLD generation. Lot of Korean YOUNGSTERS said NO for this tradition and they REPLACED it with chicken.

Some of us believe that when its get HOT, we SHOULDN'T take hot meals instead taking cold meal isn't it?? However for Korean taking hot meals is one of the best remedy during bok days!ㅋㅋㅋ What meal I'm talking about? There are many DELICIOUS meal in Korea so which one is?? ㅋㅋ The BEST meal during bok days is SAMGYETANG. Samgyetang is a HOT soup where consist of whole YOUNG chicken that been cook with Korean ginseng, jujube, scallion and etc.

Samgyetang is ONE of popular dishes among Korean, known as one of HEALTHY meal to prevent people from getting SICK. This dishes is AVAILABLE 365 days but MOST famous during bok days.ㅋㅋㅋ For some people Samgyetang soup might taste PLAIN but consider of its ingredient, its one of the BEST meal to HEAL fatigue as well RESTORE people stamina. Even though this meal were considered as TRADITIONAL food, new generation of Korean still aware that this menu is one of the BEST remedy during bok days.



p/s: I haven't get a chance to try it though since it's quite hard to find Halal Korean cuisine restaurant. ㅠㅠ Maybe if I got a chance to visit Korea again, I should listing this menu as top request! ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

http://speakupforthevoiceless.org/2015/06/25/bok-nal-dog-eating-days-south-korea/
http://blog.korea.net/?p=3891
http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/FO/FO_EN_6_5_2_2.jsp

Photo Credit: korea.prkorea.com
                      My Korean Friend

1 comment:

  1. Emeset 4mg Tablet is utilized to treat sickness and vomiting caused by clinical therapies like a medical procedure, radiation, radiotherapy, and chemotherapy.

    ReplyDelete