Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Heritage: Korean Chopsticks @ Jeokkarak!!

I believe most of my foreigner blog readers have taste Korean cuisine at least once right?? These days even if you stay outside of South Korea, you still can find Korean restaurant at your country isn't it?? However eating at Korean restaurant in your country definitely bring different feeling compare to eating at motherhood (South Korea) country itself. 

Some of you might think why is that? First of course the ingredients, followed by its utensil! Well, today I am not talking about Korean cuisine though, Hahhaha!! What I wanna tell about is Korean Chopsticks!!^^ Any of you seen or used Korean chopsticks before?? In Korea they call it as Jeokkarak (젓가락).

If you see, Korean chopsticks were different from any other Asian countries. Korean chopsticks were flat and made by metal or stainless steel. While in China or Japan, their chopsticks were made by wood or bamboo.  

Why Korean chopsticks were made by metal?? I asked some Korean about it. The answer I got from them is, during ancient time it was believe that King using metal chopstick to avoid themselves being poisonous.Metal or silver chopsticks will change its color if there is poison on it. Apart from that,  they use it for sanitary purpose. Metal chopsticks were practically and easy to wash. :)

Next differences is the length of chopsticks! Chinese chopsticks were longer, Japanese chopsticks is shorter while Korean chopsticks were in between of that. What else is the different about Korean chopsticks??The huge differences???O_o Compare to Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese chopsticks, Korean chopsticks set came along with a spoon!! 

Seems like they mix with westerner culture is it?? I try to search the reason behind it but I failed to get the answer. ㅠㅠ However, one of my Korean friends told me this "Korean table manner never allowed people to hold their rice bowl so that's may be one of the reason there is spoon and chopsticks".Another logic explanation from my friends is Korean having rice and soup everyday, as their rice is very sticky so its more convenient to use spoon along. While chopsticks were used to eat solid side dishes.

Since Korean chopsticks were made by metal, its quite difficult to use it for the first time. I still remember how struggling I am, using it for the first time!! ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ I wonder what age did Korean learn to use their chopsticks??? so I asked around. ^^ 

Some of my Korean friends told me that during 1 to 3 years old, Korean kids will use spoonfork. Hearing it for the first time makes me very curious about it. I asked them to show me what is spoonfork. At a first glance, I was like @_@!! what is that???Spoonfork? Seeing it makes me blank for a while! LOL!! I never seen that before! ㅋㅋㅋ

Then when Korean kids starts their preschool, normally they will slowly learn using chopsticks. However their chopsticks will have a hole on it upper holder as it will make them easy to pick up their food. At age of 8-10 years old, normally Korean kids will master using their chopstick!! 

Anyone plan to visit South Korea soon? Perhaps you can try to learn how to eat using chopsticks so that you won't be laugh at when you are there!! ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Make sure to buy some Korean chopsticks as souvenir to bring back home because you won't find any unless at Korea! ^^ 




Korean Chopsticks



Kids Chopsticks



Spoonfork

p/s: Even if I tried it so hard, I still can't use my Korean chopsticks properly compare to my 7 years old niece! She use chopsticks very well!! ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ


1 comment:

  1. I have read your full post, This is really nice post and nice information too. Thanks for sharing such a useful information.
    VolgoPoint silver chopstick and spoon holder

    ReplyDelete