Sunday, February 23, 2014

Guesthouse: Gwangju

On my last visit , some of my Korean friends asking me, why I choose to visit Gwangju instead of any other provinces?? I wonder why they asked me like that, so in return I asked them back, why I can't visit Gwangju??Surprisingly they told me that Gwangju is one of black area or literally known as "dangerous area in Korea"!

I read a lot about it including the history of Gwangju. Gwangju is a place where First Peace movement happens against the newly installed military government of Chun Doo-hwan. This demonstration lead to Gwangju Massacre. Due to this incident, Gwangju people have been mistook as bad people and a dangerous place.

However when I reach Gwangju, I feel Gwangju people are more friendly than Seoul society. Of course people stared at me since I'm wearing hijab, ㅋㅋㅋ. I understand Korean were curious about people who looks different than themselves especially when you were in rural area in Korea.ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Since Gwangju is my first outskirt of Seoul area I've been to in Korea, there are a lot of differences! They are more relax and they have strong dialect! ㅋㅋ It's quite hard to understand what they talking about!ㅋㅋㅋ. A day before I went to Gwangju, my Seoul friend help me to book for a room. I did search for it earlier but I just book it a day before I went there.ㅋㅋㅋ

The journey from Seoul to Gwangju took around 3 hours via KTX. When I reach there it almost evening. Inside the KTX, next to me is a soldier and his hometown is Gwangju. He didn't speak English well but he helped me a lot. ^^ When we reached at Sejong Station, he and his girlfriend teach me to buy Gwangju subway ticket and let me know which station I should get off.

At Gwangju, I stayed at Namdo Hostel. This hostel were located at Seo-gu.The nearest subway station is Ssaangchon. This hostel also very near to U- Square, which is the transportation hub terminal for South Jeolla-do. While my stayed at Gwangju, I feel Namdo hostel is like my own home!! ㅋㅋㅋ A very cozy place, with convenient store right down of hostel!^^

Namdo hostel provide us many accommodation too! We also can make our own breakfast! ^^ The owner provide eggs, fruit, free of charge! Normally at other guesthouse in Korea, they will just provide bread, jam or butter and coffee but this hostel is different!! ^^ Besides that, the owner is very friendly, he speak English and Mandarin fluently!! What about Korean?? LOL of course he speak Korean fluently too as he is native speaker! ㅋㅋㅋ. For more information about this hostel you can refer here. They also can be reach via facebook.







p/s: The owner of this hostel is Mr. Park. Anyway Namdo Hostel will always be in my heart as here I met my boyfriend! ㅋㅋㅋ ^^

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwangju_massacre
             http://blog.naver.com/dewpark
             https://www.facebook.com/namdohostel

No comments:

Post a Comment