Monday, July 7, 2014

Korean Food: Summer Treat!

Summer heat hits again! Time flies so fast, I still remember last year I wrote about patbingsu (팥빙수) during summer! What about this year?? For this year I would like to suggest another Korean cuisine that can beat summer heat! As I'm living outside of Korea and we were NOT four seasons country, but it doesn't mean can't be applicable here! Tell you what, we had summer whole year?? ㅋㅋㅋ Well since at my country we only had sunny days and raining days, so for us, our sunny days is summer!ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Lets' go back to our topic! What cuisine we had today?? Its noodles! For those who love to eat noodles you can try this at home! I will give the link to the recipe later. ^^ Since it's summer I believe many travelers going for summer trip. For anyone who plan to visit South Korea during summer or already there, this is one of the tip to beat Korea summer heat!

When you go to any Korean restaurant, ask them for naengmyeon (냉면)! Naengmyeon also known as cold noodles, yes you can say to them cold noodles but since you on trip and at Korea, why don't use their own words?? Even though your accent might slightly off! ㅋㅋㅋ

This noodles had been said originally come from North Korea, especially city of Pyeongyang and it became popular in South Korea after Korean war. For more information about it you may read it here. There are two version of Naengmyeon, one is spicy and another one is non spicy. For spicy lovers, the cuisine known as bibimnaengmyeon (비빔냉면) where they put gochuchang (고추장) on top of noodles, with or without meat. Non spicy lovers, frustrating??! Don't feel sad! ㅋㅋㅋ Your cuisine known as mulnaengmyeon (물냉면).

During my 2012 trip I tried mulnaengmyeon at Namiseom, for me yes it beat summer heat but personally I'm not much into it because at my country we used to eat noodles with hot broth! ㅋㅋㅋㅋ Below is the link for both recipe. You can check it out. ^^ They also guide you with a video on how to make those dishes. ^^

Mul-naengmyeon
Bibimnaengmyeon


Bibimnaengmyeon

                                           Mul-naengmyeon

p/s: Maybe I should try to cook it at home too?? Ahh its fasting month (Ramadhan) for me, ㅋㅋㅋ so I will save for it later. ^^* I hope you guys can try to cook it at home and enjoy with your love one ^^~ Happy Ramadhan (fasting) for Muslim readers. ^^

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naengmyeon
              http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_6.jsp?cid=1058712
              http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/naengmyeon
              http://aeriskitchen.com/2010/10/spicy-cold-buckwheat-noodles/

Photo Credit: missboulette.wordpress.com
                     oneforkonespoon.wordpress.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment