Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Tradition: Bamboo Wives???

Have you ever heard about bamboo wives before?? At first when I heard it I was like huh??? What its all about?? Beating wife using bamboo??? No way! That can't be! Then when one of my Korean friend showing a picture of bamboo wives. That makes me laugh loud!! Owh My! This is bamboo wives??!! I thought what was it!ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Bamboo wives or known as 죽부인 (jukbuin) is one of traditional method that been using by Korean men during summer. It is been said that jukbuin are cooler to touch compare to fabric pillow or sheets. Jukbuin was made of bamboo around 20 cm (wide) and 1-1.5m (long). This loosely bamboo were using during hot summer night.

I asked my friend why did Korean call it as bamboo wives?? There are so many other name but why they choose this??ㅋㅋㅋㅋ He said that Juk is bamboo, while buin is wife. This name was chosen because long time ago, bamboo is considered to be like a women, so many men embrace the bamboo pillow while sleeping during hot summer night as if they were hugging their wives. ㅋㅋㅋ Apart from that jukbuin also been said can help to regulates body temperature when its too hot.

However this tradition is no longer been practice widely during this modern era. Many youngsters even never experience it once in their life. My friend said he also never experience it, or perhaps because he is still young?ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ This tradition only been practice by old generation he told me that. While my mind says perhaps as we living in modern era, so some tradition been left behind??




p/s:  Super cute pillow?? My friend asked his mom whose that cute pillow belong to, he thought it belong to his nieces but he was wrong!ㅋㅋㅋ His dad bought it for himself! We both laughing talking about this! ㅋㅋㅋIsn't Korean men are adorable?? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Sources: http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_6.jsp?cid=260784
Photo Credit: My friend

No comments:

Post a Comment